Become a CitizenSeptember 4, 2020
Join one of our workshops to receive free legal assistance to help you apply for naturalization
For more information on benefits of citizenship and FAQs on naturalization, click here.
Follow www.facebook.com/DCNewAmericans/ for up-to-date information and citizenship clinics.
What are the benefits of becoming a citizen?
- You can VOTE and run for elected office.
- You won’t ever have to worry about being deported or losing your visa or Legal Permanent Resident status.
- You could bring your family living abroad to live in the United States more quickly.
- You will be eligible for a U.S. passport, making travel easy.
- You can apply for government jobs that require U.S. citizenship.
You qualify if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Lived in the U.S. as a green card holder for more than 5 years (3 years if married to U.S. citizen)
- Have been physically present in the U.S. for more than 2.5 years (18 months if married to U.S. citizen)
- Can show you have good moral character
- Can speak, read and write basic English
- Can pass a test on the U.S. government and American history
Washington, D.C. Area New Americans Campaign Partners
Click on the links for upcoming workshops.
Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center
- Citizenship Services
- Workshops (See events calendar at bottom of homepage.)
- Catholic Charities of Arlington, Hogar Immigrant Services
- Catholic Charities of Baltimore, Esperanza Center
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, Immigration Legal Services