Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC has been working to raise awareness about increased racism and discrimination against Asian Americans.
The Asian American community has long struggled for visibility and equity, and now faces additional physical and mental health harms due to the increase in anti-Asian hate. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Asian American community saw a sharp increase in anti-Asian hate crimes and hate incidents due to the misattribution of the coronavirus to our community. However, anti-Asian hate is not a new phenomenon: from the time our communities first immigrated to the U.S. to present day, Asian Americans have experienced discrimination in many forms, from mistrust, verbal abuse, and harassment to civil rights violations, anti-Asian legislation, and even physical violence.
What Can You Do?
Report and help us document hate and harassment: If you have witnessed or experienced anti-Asian hate, we encourage you to report your story to our website www.StandAgainstHatred.org (accessible in Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese). Help us better understand anti-Asian hate so we can work to put an end to it.
Bystander Intervention Training
Advancing Justice | AAJC has partnered with Right To Be (formerly Hollaback!) to provide free trainings to equip people with techniques on how to safely intervene when they see or experience anti-Asian harassment.
Asian Resource Hub
Are you looking for resources and assistance? Visit the Asian Resource Hub to find service providers and advocacy groups that support Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities across the country. The organizations listed in this directory can be searched by location, language, and type of service.
Some examples of services you can find in the directory include:
- Social service support (ie: basic needs, language assistance, victims services, etc.)
- Legal assistance
- Mental health support
- Opportunities to get involved in civic engagement and policy advocacy
This directory was created by Asian Americans Advancing Justice Southern California and Asian Americans Advancing Justice – AAJC.
Mental Health Resources
- National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association (NAAPIMHA)
- Asian Mental Health Collective
- Asian American Psychological Association (AAPA)
- South Asian Mental Health Initiative & Network (SAMHIN)
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
Crime Victims' Compensation
If you are a victim of a crime, you may be eligible for crime victims’ compensation funds. Locate your state’s Crime Victims Fund program here. Compensation and coverage vary across states, but generally include:
- Medical care
- Lost wages
- Transportation costs
- Funeral and burial support
If you need assistance, please contact Emily Ku at email@example.com.
- The Asian American Foundation (TAAF) STAATUS Index 2023 Report: Attitudes towards Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (May 2023)
- Balancing Act: Asian American Organizations Respond to Community Crisis and Build Collective Power (March 2023)
Follow Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC to receive updates about our work, including ways to get directly involved in our advocacy efforts.
- Go to www.advancingjustice-aajc.org/get-involved, look for “Stay in the Know / Join our email list,” and sign up.
- Follow us on social media:
Download the FAQ for frequently asked questions on anti-Asian hate and our work with Stand Against Hatred.
Below is a sampling of media coverage of these issues:
- Video: The Bronx Social Justice and Anti-Violence Forums | Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC, May 22, 2023 (28 minutes)
- Video: John C. Yang on anti-Asian hate, CGTN American, March 15, 2023 (4 minutes)
- News Article: As Asian Hate Incidents Continue, Nearly $10 Million Flows to Groups Fighting the Attacks, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, March 15, 2022
- News article: Anti-Asian hate crimes increased 339 percent nationwide last year, report says, NBC News, January 31, 2022
- News Article: Why anti-Asian hate incidents often go unreported and how to help, ABC News, March 18, 2021
- Video: ‘We are crying out for help’: Actors, activist sounding alarm on surging attacks against Asian Americans, American Voices - MSNBC, February 7, 2021 (9 minutes)
- News article: As attacks against Asian Americans spike, advocates call for action to protect communities, CNN, February 13, 2021
- News article: Attacks on Asian Americans during pandemic renew criticism that U.S. undercounts hate crimes, Washington Post, February 22, 2021
- News article: ‘Words matter’ as Asian American leaders urge action against hate crimes, PBS NewsHour, February 23, 2021
- Video: Asian Americans: Battling Bias, CBS News, October 9, 2020 (27 minutes)