Telecommunications and Technology
As access to technology transitions from being a benefit to an absolute necessity in our everyday lives, understanding the telecommunications- and technology-related needs of our diverse community becomes increasingly important. While digital innovation continues to be a boon for Asian Americans, it also represents a potential source of mischief and real-world harm. Our work focuses on ensuring that the principles of opportunity, fairness, and equity are protected online.
Many members of our community are impacted by the digital divide, disadvantaged by a lack of digital access and/or digital literacy. As a result, we advocate for increased broadband deployment and adoption, an open internet that protects and fosters creative and diverse content, and the reduction of barriers to critical technology services.
- Letter to FCC in Support of March 2016 Lifeline Reforms
- Comments to FCC in Support of Restructuring the Lifeline Program
- Letter to Senate in Support of the Internet Tax Freedom Act
- Comments to FCC in Support of an Open and Free Internet
- Letter to FCC in Support of Monitoring National Communications Infrastructure Changes
- Letter to FCC in Support of Modernizing E-Rate
- Letter to FCC Defending the Lifeline Program
- Comments to FCC Defending the Lifeline Program
In the era of big data collection, Asian Americans are particularly vulnerable to having their personal data divulged by data brokers. We are committed to pushing for a digital privacy regime that keeps the interests of our community in mind, such as making sure that limited English proficient individuals are able to understand terms of service and breach notifications.
- Letters to Congress in Support of Digital Privacy
- Comments to FTC in Support of Digital Privacy
- Comments to NTIA in Support of Privacy Regulations That Protect the Disenfranchised and Disconnected
Diversity in Tech
While many technology companies have taken steps to address the lack of racial and gender diversity in the technology sector, they have yet to collectively build effective tools for recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees of diverse backgrounds. Advancing Justice | AAJC continues to work to ensure that communities of color are not left behind in the world of innovation and advancement.
AAPI Tech Table
Through the AAPI Tech Table, Advancing Justice | AAJC engages other Asian American organizations on critical technology-related issues. Together, our organizations work on formulating comprehensive digital privacy policies and combatting biased digital surveillance, online toxicity, and violence-inciting content.