Human Resources Payroll and Benefits Specialist
The Human Resources Payroll and Benefits Specialist will be primarily responsible for assisting the Vice President of Human Resources and Administration
*** COVID vaccination required. Exemptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis upon request ***
Organizational Profile: Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (Advancing Justice | AAJC) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded in 1991 and located in Washington, D.C. Our mission is to advance the civil and human rights of Asian Americans and to build and promote a fair and equitable society for all. For over 30 years, we have served as the leading Asian American voice on civil rights issues in our nation’s capital – fighting for the rights of our communities through policy advocacy, litigation, research, public education, and community engagement.
Based in Washington, D.C., Advancing Justice | AAJC is a member of the Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Advancing Justice) affiliation. With our affiliates in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, we work together as equal and independent partners, operate under one name, and strive to speak with one unified and powerful voice to promote justice, empower our communities, bring local and national constituents together, and strengthen our multiracial democracy.
Title: Human Resources Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Reports to: Vice President, Human Resources and Administration
Status: Full-time, Exempt Employee, 40 hours/week.
Will consider Part-Time (20 hours)
Position Summary: The Human Resources Payroll and Benefits Specialist will be primarily responsible for assisting the Vice President of Human Resources and Administration with payroll and timekeeping management; benefit administration.
*** This position requires the staff member to be bonded. The candidate must pass a background and credit investigation.
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Act as thought partner to the Vice President, Human Resources and Administration on issues related to human resources and administration.
- Work closely with the executive team, all organization staff and board of directors to provide leadership and support with setting program goals and strategies, advancing new ideas and innovation that align with our organizational mission and strategic plan.
- Work closely with all staff collaborate and spearhead cross-organizational initiatives amongst our internal divisions.
Payroll Administration and Timekeeping:
- Responsible for the daily management and processing of payroll using the ADP payroll platform.
- Assist with the implementation and documentation of employee compensation; initiating updates and corrections as warranted.
- Management and oversight of the timekeeping data system for all staff; ensuring monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting is accurate and submitted accordingly.
- Track time and maintain records for PTO including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Compile and maintain digital and electronic employee records.
- Assist the Vice President of Human Resources and Administration and the Manager, Human Resources with benefit tracking, implementation, and management.
- Assist the Manager, Human Resources with entering employee data into computer databases.
- Review monthly reports for accuracy and reporting.
General Human Resources:
- Provide assistance to the Personnel Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Support internal and external inquiries and requests related to the human resources department.
- Assist with the development of reports and routine communications on general human resources activities.
- Continuously learn the latest human resources best practices to improve workplace efficiency and morale.
- Support and participate in fundraising activities and events as required.
General AAJC Roles:
- Live and exhibit the Core Values of AAJC, by contributing to an environment that promotes trust, teamwork, and transparency among staff, Board, National Advisory Council, campaign cabinet, affiliates, and community partners.
- Follow policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of Advancing Justice-AAJC are implemented.
- Participate fully in decision- making processes and understanding the outcomes, being accountable for decisions made in, or affecting his/her area.
- Understand the values and principles of Advancing Justice-AAJC and apply them fully in work responsibilities.
- Participate in other activities, agency advocacy and serve on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attend Advancing Justice-AAJC and board of directors’ meetings, as required.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors’ degree or CPP (Certified Payroll Professions) preferred
- Two to four years of experience in payroll processing, garnishments and payroll taxes
- Experience with state tax, unemployment, paid family leave and disability registration and processing preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent mathematical and calculating skills
- Full understanding of payroll practices and processes.
- Knowledge of a broad range of human resources strategies and practices including compensation and benefit administration; able to apply these strategies in compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Ability to operationalize vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment and lead change.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and balance competing assignments is necessary.
- Advance knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in preparing correspondence and other communications.
- Knowledge of basic accounting functions and applications.
- Excellent time management skills.
Send resume with references, short writing sample and a cover letter to Hiring Manager at email@example.com or by mail.
Advancing Justice-AAJC is an equal opportunity employer.