Digital Communications Coordinator
An ideal candidate for this position has a passion for storytelling through social media, graphics, and digital and audio-visual communications.
*** COVID vaccination required. Exemptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis upon request ***
Organizational Profile: Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (Advancing Justice | AAJC) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded in 1991 and located in Washington, D.C. Our mission is to advance the civil and human rights of Asian Americans and to build and promote a fair and equitable society for all. For 30 years, we have served as the leading Asian American voice on civil rights issues in our nation’s capital – fighting for the rights of our communities through policy advocacy, litigation, research, public education, and community engagement.
Based in Washington, D.C., Advancing Justice | AAJC is a member of the Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Advancing Justice) affiliation. With our affiliates in Atlanta, Chicago, Southern California, and San Francisco, we work together as equal and independent partners, operate under one name and strive to speak with one unified and powerful voice to promote justice, empower our communities, bring local and national constituents together, and strengthen our multiracial democracy.
Title: Digital Communications Coordinator, Strategic Communications
Reports to: Senior Director of Strategic Communications
Status: Full time, Exempt Employee, 40 hours/week
Position Description: Advancing Justice | AAJC seeks applicants to join the strategic communications department with a passion for storytelling through social media, graphics, and digital and audio-visual communications. The ideal candidate is independent, innovative, and driven and is looking to join a team where they can gain real-life, hands-on experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Act as a thought partner to the Senior Director of Strategic Communications to support and implement programmatic plans and ideas for the organization and policy and program initiatives.
- Work closely with policy leads and all other staff to provide direction in setting communications strategies, goals, and solutions.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, coordinate with local partner grantees, affiliate organizations, and coalition partners as appropriate or required on program and policy initiatives.
- Advance new ideas and innovation that align with our organizational mission and strategic plan.
- Work closely with staff to spearhead cross-organizational initiatives amongst our internal departments.
Direct Communications Responsibilities:
- Draft content for and monitor social media and digital platforms
- Assist with research, writing, copy editing, and development of content like blogs, press releases, talking points, and campaign reports
- Produce high-quality visual media for website and multiple social media accounts that demonstrate technical sophistication and an ability to convey organizational or programmatic messages succinctly and clearly
- Conduct social listening through the organization’s digital platforms to help inform and shape the work of the department
- Proficiency in creating graphic content and generating visual content to support program and policy objectives
- Create motion graphics, infographics, and other data visualization products
- Generate complimentary content and products to amplify program and policy issues
- Serve as lead on video products, including independently managing end-to-end process from video story boarding, shooting to editing, and publishing
- Eager to contribute story ideas and new ways of thinking
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the head of the communications department
General AAJC Roles
- Live and exhibit the Core Values of Advancing Justice-AAJC, by contributing to an environment that promotes trust, teamwork, and transparency among staff, board, National Advisory Council, campaign cabinet, affiliates, and community partners.
- Contribute to and follow policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of Advancing Justice-AAJC are implemented.
- Participate fully in decision-making processes; understand outcomes and be accountable for decisions made in or affecting their area.
- Understand the values and principles of Advancing Justice-AAJC and apply them fully in work responsibilities.
- Participate in other activities and serve on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attend and contribute to Advancing Justice-AAJC and board of directors’ meetings.
- Willing to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends.
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree plus 2-3 years of work experience in communications or related field
- Strong outreach and verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills, highly organized and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple work streams
- Real-world experience in planning, managing, and executing media initiatives
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in graphic design and familiarity with programs such as Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Tech-savvy, proficient with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point, Outlook), Google products, and more
- Proficiency with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tweetdeck, etc.)
- Competent at digital content management systems such as Drupal or WordPress
- Self-starter, not afraid to take initiative and work independently
- Strong understanding and passion for Asian American and Pacific Islander progressive issues
Location: For immediate hire in Washington, DC.
To apply for the communications fellowship position, please send a cover letter, a resume, and a writing sample to
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
1620 L Street NW, Suite 1050
Washington, D.C. 20036