Community Outreach & Data Coordinator (Two-Year Fellowship)
This role will assist the Community Engagement and Communications teams in researching, identifying, and supporting community organizations in need.
*** COVID vaccination required. Exemptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis upon request ***
Organizational Profile: Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (Advancing Justice | AAJC) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded in 1991 and located in Washington, D.C. Our mission is to advance the civil and human rights of Asian Americans and to build and promote a fair and equitable society for all. For 30 years, we have served as the leading Asian American voice on civil rights issues in our nation’s capital – fighting for the rights of our communities through policy advocacy, litigation, research, public education, and community engagement.
Based in Washington, D.C., Advancing Justice | AAJC is a member of the Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Advancing Justice) affiliation. With our affiliates in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, we work together as equal and independent partners, operate under one name and strive to speak with one unified and powerful voice to promote justice, empower our communities, bring local and national constituents together, and strengthen our multiracial democracy.
Title: Community Outreach and Data Coordinator (Two-Year Fellowship)
Reports to: Director of Community Engagement
Status: Full time, Exempt Employee, 40 hours/week.
Position Summary: The Community Outreach and Data Coordinator will be primarily responsible for assisting the Community Engagement and Communications teams in developing and implementing Advancing Justice | AAJC’s communications and capacity-building project. The Community Outreach and Data Coordinator will be responsible for researching, identifying, and supporting community organizations in need of additional capacity or training, help to conduct and analyze a far-reaching needs assessment of Advancing Justice | AAJC’s partner organizations, and assist in narrative building activities with the Communications team. The Coordinator will work with both Community Engagement and Communications teams to organize trainings, develop resources, participate in narrative building, and track deliverables.
In addition, the Community Outreach and Data Coordinator will help to build infrastructure for maintaining Advancing Justice | AAJC’s Community Partner (CP) network database to support Advancing Justice | AAJC’s community education, field outreach, and advocacy initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Act as thought partner to the Director of Community Engagement on community mobilizing, education, and relationship building to support and implement our programmatic agenda for the capacity-building initiative.
- Work closely with policy leads and all other staff to ensure alignment on budgets, and program goals and strategies for the capacity-building initiative.
Project & Database Management
- Serve as project manager for overall coordination of capacity-building initiative across Community Engagement, Communications, and Finance and Operations teams, including implementation of needs assessment, management of subgrants, assisting with execution of communications deliverables, and provision of trainings and resources to subgrantees and other CPs.
- Research and record key information on Community Partners into Advancing Justice | AAJC’s network database to inform and improve future community engagement activities and communications.
Field Outreach Coordination
- Help conduct outreach to Community Partners and other stakeholders to promote completion of organization needs assessment.
- Interface with subgrantee organizations to track and ensure timely completion of deliverables, as well as inclusive participation in trainings, convenings, and other programs.
- Support Advancing Justice | AAJC’s engagement with coalition partners, policymakers, and the media on the project topic areas.
- Support selection of appropriate Community Partner and content generation such as blogs, newsletters, resource materials, and reports.
General AAJC Roles
- Live and exhibit the Core Values of AAJC, by contributing to an environment that promotes trust, teamwork, and transparency among staff, board, National Advisory Council, affiliates, and Community Partners.
- Contribute to, establish, and follow policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of Advancing Justice | AAJC are implemented.
- Participate fully in and lead decision-making processes; understand outcomes and be accountable for decisions made in or affecting their area.
- Understand the values and principles of Advancing Justice | AAJC and apply them fully in work responsibilities.
- Participate in other activities and serve on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attend and contribute to Advancing Justice | AAJC and board of directors’ meetings.
- Willing to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends.
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least two to four years of work experience in a related field.
- Experience in media and communications, community outreach, research, and local nonprofits.
- Experience in policy advocacy, campaigns, and/or field organizing.
- Experience supporting narrative development and storytelling for community-based organizations.
- Experience with grassroots communications and social media outreach.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to operationalize vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment, and lead change.
- Successful track record of forging alliances and coalitions and moving people to take collective action and engage in advocacy.
- Facilitative and collaborative leadership style with strong people skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups from various sectors.
- Excellent communicator and writer who can articulate messages to different audiences, including translating law and policy into plain language.
- Proven ability to work collegially with management and team members.
- Strong outreach and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple work streams.
- Willingness to adapt to changing priorities and balance competing assignments is necessary.
- Self-starter, not afraid to take initiative and work independently.
- Knowledge of Asian American civil and human rights issues at the local and national level.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and/or Google sheets strongly encouraged.
- Experience with Quorum, SalesForce, FileMaker Pro, and/or other CRM databases strongly encouraged.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram); media systems such as Meltwater, Cision, Sysomos; and MailChimp or Critical Mention a plus.
- Tech-savvy, proficient with Google Docs and Microsoft Suite.
Send resume with references, short writing sample and a cover letter to Hiring Manager at email@example.com or by mail. Only applications with the requested items will be reviewed for consideration.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC is an equal opportunity employer.