Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC has been working to raise awareness about increased racism and discrimination against Asian Americans.
The Asian American community has long struggled for visibility and equity, and now our communities are facing additional physical and mental health harms arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the past year, we have seen a sharp increase in anti-Asian hate crimes and hate incidents. Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC has been working to raise awareness about increased racism and discrimination against Asian Americans who are being wrongly blamed for the coronavirus. This discrimination is taking many forms from hostility and suspicion that Asian Americans are carriers of the coronavirus to verbal abuse, harassment, and even physical violence.
What Can You Do?
Report and help us document hate and harassment: We encourage community members who have experienced anti-Asian hate to share their experiences and report to our website www.StandAgainstHatred.org, which is accessible in Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese.
Add to our crowdsourcing document
For local resources, please see – and add to! – this crowd-sourced document: AAPI Anti-Hate Community Resources
Learn Intervention Techniques: Advancing Justice | AAJC has partnered with Hollaback! to make training available to equip people with techniques on how to safely intervene when they see or experience anti-Asian harassment. The next dates for each of the free public trainings in our three-part series follow:
Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American Harassment and Xenophobia
- Friday, October 8, 2021. 4:00PM ET/ 3:00PM CT/ 2:00PM MT/ 1:00PM PT/ 10:00AM HST. Register Here.
- This session offers translations and simultaneous interpretation in Korean (한국어)! Thursday, October 14, 2021. 7:00PM ET/ 6:00PM CT/ 5:00PM MT/ 4:00PM PT/ 1:00PM HST. Register Here.
- Thursday, October 21, 2021. 11:00AM ET/ 10:00AM CT/ 9:00AM MT/ 7:00AM PT/ 4:00AM HST. Register Here.
- This session offers translations and simultaneous interpretation in Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt)! Wednesday, October 27, 2021. 7:00PM ET/ 6:00PM CT/ 5:00PM MT/ 4:00PM PT/ 1:00PM HST. Register Here.
Bystander Intervention 2.0 – Conflict De-Escalation Training
- Monday, October 11, 2021. 12:00PM ET/ 11:00AMPM CT/ 10:00AM MT/ 9:00AM PT/ 6:00AM HST. Register Here.
- Friday, October 29, 2021. 5:00PM ET/ 4:00PM CT/ 3:00PM MT/ 2:00PM PT/ 11:00AM HST. Register Here.
How to Respond to Harassment for People Experiencing Anti-Asian/American Harassment
- Friday, October 15, 2021. 2:00PM ET/ 1:00pM CT/ 12:00PM MT/ 11:00AM PT/ 8:00AM HST. Register Here.
For the most up-to-date list of available trainings, visit Hollaback's Bystander Intervention page.
Anti-Asian Hate Media FAQ
Reporters and the media are vital partners in sounding the alarm about the resurgence of anti-Asian hate. Download the FAQ for frequently asked questions on anti-Asian hate and our work with Stand Against Hatred.
Follow Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC to receive updates about our work, including ways to get directly involved in our advocacy efforts.
- Go to www.advancingjustice-aajc.org/get-involved, look for “Stay in the Know / Join our email list,” and sign up.
- Follow us on social media:
For additional resources on addressing anti-Asian hate and COVID-19, see:
- 5 Ds of Bystander Intervention PSA (watch and download via the top right corner link)
- A public service announcement created in partnership with Advancing Justice - LA, narrated by actor Ken Jeong, and animated by award-winning illustrator James Yang features Hollaback!'s “5 Ds of bystander intervention.” The 5 D's are the different methods a person can use to help victims of harassment and a core part of the bystander intervention training that Hollaback! and the Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation conduct nationwide.
- Coronavirus / COVID-19 Resources to Stand Against Racism
- Resources for the Asian American Community on Anti-Blackness
Below is a sampling of media coverage of these issues:
- Video: ‘We are crying out for help’: Actors, activist sounding alarm on surging attacks against Asian Americans, American Voices - MSNBC, February 7, 2021 (9 minutes)
- News article: As attacks against Asian Americans spike, advocates call for action to protect communities, CNN, February 13, 2021
- News article: Attacks on Asian Americans during pandemic renew criticism that U.S. undercounts hate crimes, Washington Post, February 22, 2021
- News article: ‘Words matter’ as Asian American leaders urge action against hate crimes, PBS NewsHour, February 23, 2021
- Video: Asian Americans: Battling Bias, CBS News, October 9, 2020 (27 minutes)